Welcome to Bugbee Elementary School!
Kelly Brouse, Principal
Katie Feldman, Curriculum Specialist
1943 Asylum Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
Phone: 860-929-5500 Fax: 860-236-2486
We are looking for volunteers in the Bugbee Library. Volunteers are especially helpful with kindergarten and first grade classes as these students are not yet independent in the library. If you did not sign up to volunteer on Curriculum Night, but are interested, it is not too late!
Volunteer responsibilities include:
· Book Check-In and Check-Out
· Shelving books & general shelf organization
· Helping students during computer lessons & research lessons as needed
· Other general library tasks as assigned by Ms. Nascimento
You can sign up by completing this signup form here. You may also contact me directly at Liz_Nascimento@whps.org. Please sign up by September 28, 2018 so that we can get a schedule out to start in October.
Check out this article about our flag-raising ceremony on the first day of school.
The Foundation's mission is to provide financial support for educational projects, programs, and initiatives that will enhance and enliven the classroom experience and promote excellence in West Hartford Public Schools.
The Foundation raises funds from individuals, businesses, and civic groups in the community as well as alumni nationwide. Gifts of $1,000 or more entitle the donor to honor an individual, business or civic group by having the Foundation name a grant. Once a year, certified teachers throughout the school district are invited to apply for grants ranging from $200 to $3,000 for a project that will enhance student experience, complement the curriculum and demonstrate educational merit. A Foundation committee reviews the applications with the teacher's name and school removed. After approval by the Foundation board, awards are presented in late spring of each year.
For more information or to apply for a grant, visit The Foundation's webpage HERE.
Click here to purchase notecards created by West Hartford Public School Students to support the Teacher Grant Program.
Grants Awarded to Bugbee this year:
- Alexander M. and Catherine Maus Wright Grant: African Artist In Residence~ Won-Ldy Paye Kristen Pildis, Lead Teacher & Patti Farquhar, Lindsay Bougor
- CT Historical Society Field Trip Suzanne Atwood, Lead Teacher & Valerie Hansen, Shirley Green
- Frank Webb’s Bath & Lighting Center Grant: A Day with Author/Illustrator Grace Lin Liz Nascimento, Lead Teacher
- J.P. Carroll Construction Grant: Master Mathematics with Magna-Tiles Elyse Post Perez, Lead Teacher
- Reading From A to Z Patti Farquhar, Lead Teacher & Shirley Green, Rachel Nelson, Kristen Pildis
- Rogo Distributors Grant: Making Math Fun All Year Suzanne Atwood, Lead Teacher & Valerie Hansen, Shirley Green
Bugbee In The News
- International Night 2018: A highlight of the year for our community! Check out some pictures from our event in The Courant and the article in We-ha.com.
- Gratitude Campaign: Check out this article about Bugbee's 'Look for the Good' project led by 5th graders.
- Hurricane Relief: Bugbee students connect with schools in Texas and Florida to raise funds after the hurricane. Read the story here.
- Crosstown Connections Through Music: Check out this West Hartford Press article about how Bugbee and COIA students collaborated in a virtual music community!
- Bugbee was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School for 2013! U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan recognized Bugbee School as a National Blue Ribbon School for 2013! The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program award recognizes public and private elementary, middle, and high schools where students either achieve very high learning standards or are making notable improvements toward those standards. The National Blue Ribbon School award affirms the hard work of students, educators, families, and communities in outstanding schools.